23.9.07

Ineffable

This is one's not about a person, but about a concept... easy to work out.

As the sun strokes her gentle face
She looks up at me with a smile full of grace
Her eyes contain all the treasures of nature
Her smile guarantees that there is a future

As the full moon pierces the shadows
As a lantern among dark trees glows
Her demeanor and her gaze have cast upon me a charm
A mysterious beckoning that I can't fight without harm

This supernatural struggle is one I will not quit
I am a gladiator, my arena is a sea-deep pit
A frown on her brow or a ceasing of a smile
And I will condemn myself to errancy or exile

As the north wind is engulfed in the sail of a ship
The eruption within me acts like a burning whip
The more it licks my back the stronger I become
My heart may gently bleed but my body is numb

This is not a shrill cry of heartbreaking grief
I am not wasting away like the fallen leaf
I cherish my life and embrace its fragrance
But I have merely found my own quintessence

He or she who has once tasted this condition
Will understand that this is just a human description
Of what can make a creature crawl or shine
The Thing that Gwydion himself could not define

This uncanny feeling should have remained nameless
Simply because it is one of the components of Bliss
And no human tongue truly has the power or right
To try to turn into one bare word something so bright

This Thing which is stronger even than Life
Which cannot be destroyed by fire or by knife
Will for ever be immune to any kind of abortion
Because it is unquestionably of divine creation

One day this nameless Mystery will bind
Every single sister and brother of our Kind
And the clutches of Darkness and Blood and Hate
Will be annihilated by something even more great

Tim, 2003 (?)

1 comment: